- Globally, 75 million youth 15-24 are unemployed. 1
- In the US, 14 million youth face employment challenges and they disproportionately affect the poor and vulnerable, namely Blacks, Latinos and low income youth. 2
- In Southwestern San Diego (Chula Vista, National City, Imperial Beach), nearly 1 in 5 youth are not working or in school compared to 1 in 28 in the affluent coastal communities between Torrey Pines and Mission Bay. 3
- By 2020, there will be an estimated 5.9 million more high school dropouts than there will be jobs available for them. 4
- One unemployed young person costs federal and state governments more than $4,100/ year in forgone tax revenue and benefits paid out. 5
- Individuals who fail to transition to stable jobs by their early 20s are at risk of experiencing more frequent and prolonged spells of joblessness, reduced productivity, permanently lower earnings, and greater difficulty building a secure financial future for themselves and their families. 6
- 1 International Labour Organisation, 2015
- 2 Rockefeller Foundation, 2013
- 3 Measure of America, 2012
- 4 McKinsey Center for Government, 2012
- 5 Young Invincibles, 2014
- 6 Rockefeller Foundation, 2013
Creating First Impressions envisions a world where every young person in the U.S. has the ability to reach their highest employment potential, ultimately securing their economic future.
Creating First Impressions exists to break the cycle of poverty and addiction amongst disadvantaged youth by delivering a program that gives youth 14-25 years-old a better sense of career adaptability, responsibility, clear goals and the skills to reach these goals.
The goal of Creating First Impressions is the pursuing of the following principles:
- Commitment – CFI will commit to providing an environment that will inspire strong interpersonal skills and instill a sense of hope for the future of these young adults
- Responsibility – CFI will empower youth in a judgement free zone with assistance in establishing goals and following through on commitments.
- Possibility – CFI will expand the perspective of young people and allow them to pursue their dreams and aspirations in a supportive environment.
- Encouragement – CFI encourages individuals to break the cycle and allow this new system to provide them with the support and tools needed to succeed.